At the centre of the garden is a 25 seat outdoor learning centre. It is equipped with stoves, bench tops, cool and dry storage, dishwasher and all cooking utensils.
The main objectives of the hospitality program are as follows:
- Introduce new cooking skills to all of our students using basic equipment;
- Provide students with training for their Certificate II in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations);
- Offer the opportunity to merge traditional food with western food in order to create new and exciting dishes;
- Deliver opportunities to get outdoors and hunt for food with older Tiwi; and
- Educate students of the links between healthy eating, exercise and good health.
The Hayden Reynolds Tiwi College Project have been able to educate Tiwi College students about the value of growing fresh produce and the satisfaction of being responsible for the preparation of a meal, from ‘garden to plate’.
The kitchen provides a peaceful environment that encapsulates the essence of the garden, where students will be trained in a domestic style format. The programs arms young Tiwi with skills, which will remain with them for life. These skills will help them to better provide for their families well into the future.